Saturday, May 16, 2009

Welcome to my garden!

Today brought me a great deal of satisfaction: all those little seedlings I have been nursing to adolescence were finally old enough to release from the nest and set free in the garden. And they are beautiful! I have several kinds of peppers, heirloom tomatoes, acorn squash, butternut squash, cucumbers, sweet peas, many varieties of lettuce, kale, collards, and swiss chard. 

I have a couple things inside the house still. I started indoors several heirloom seeds from Mt. Vernon. They have already sprouted, and are under the lights. They are direct descendants of several generations of seedlings from George Washington's gardens.

And, for the third time this spring, I am sprouting corn and sunflowers. For some reason, they have both gotten to a certain height and then died... I am beginning to think it is just better to plant them directly in the ground. When the little seedlings come up this time, they are going directly to the garden.

I moved my grape vine over between the raspberries and the garden gate. I want to train the grape to grow over the trellis and create a nice entrance to the garden. I bet I have some long shoots growing over it by the end of summer. It grows pretty fast. I don't know what kind of grape it is, some green grape with little seeds. They are sweet. I made grape juice last year from my harvest. We will see what we get this year.

The blueberries are flowering, as is the crabapple. While I was out there working today under its ultra-blossomed branches, the whole tree hummed... the bees were busy at work. It was really amazing how loudly that tree hummed.

This month and September are my favorite times of year in Idaho. Today was 71°, tomorrow is supposed to be 80°. Monday apparently will be even hotter. Mmmmmm... life is so good.

1 comment:

Sara said...

It's a BEAUTIFUL garden Ali!!