Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Idaho spring garden

My friend, Amy, helped me get a jump on gardening this year by loaning me a simple, but very efficient, indoor growing system she put together. Since she is going to school full-time, she doesn't have the time to invest in her garden (which I used to go raid in the summers... she is a good gardener). 

I got my seed and planters, and wasted no time getting things started. I am so excited. If I were to plant everything growing in my dining room, I could probably feed most of Post Falls this year! My plan, if I am successful at keeping these little guys alive, is to donate my over-plantings to the community garden in Coeur d'Alene.

Meanwhile, I get such joy from watching stuff grow... if it can't be outside, I am happy to see it every morning. And I anticipate being able to plant my cold-weather crops outside in a couple of weeks (spinach, kale, collards, lettuce, radishes, and cilantro).

I decided all the seeds I purchased this year would be organic or heirloom, and I was able to find an abundance of seeds with a short season. I want to avoid the genetically-altered seeds so that everything that comes out of the garden is healthy and wholesome.

And with the help of Amy, I expect to have some delicious tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, peppers, squash, with some pretty nasturtiums and sunflowers mixed in.

So if you are hungry this summer, come on over!

No comments: