Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The birds have flown the coop...

Today was the day we all have been anxiously awaiting... and dreading. All three of the kids left home today. 

Byron returned to Boise after a really nice week of having him here, even if I did have to pick up after him a bit. He brought his friend, David, and we really enjoyed having them all here.

Maegan and Conor caught the 2:05 flight to LA through Salt Lake City. Maegan flies out to Australia tonight at 10:30, and Conor flies out to New Zealand at 11:30. Maegan is gone for a year to study abroad at the University of Tasmania in Environmental Studies. Conor is off for atleast 4 months to Snowboard Instructor Training. Both of them were quite excited to begin their great adventures. It is nice that they got to travel together for a small part of the trip.

I watched them until they disappeared through security into the center of the airport. I didn't care that passerbys could see the tears I didn't bother to wipe away. I managed to get back to my car without making too much of a spectacle of myself, but once inside I broke down and bawled like a baby... an unexpected reaction, surprising to no one but me.

My babies are gone. I am so proud of them. This is the moment I have been raising them for, always wanting them to be independent and adventurous. I guess I never envisioned how difficult the end result would be. But a good night sleep will be good for me. Tomorrow is a new day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did good, Alicat. It's okay to mourn their passing to the next phase in their lives, because it means separating a little from you. But they'll always be in your heart - and will be home before you know it! Congrats to YOU for letting them go, and for giving them wings. Love you bunches!

Sara said...

Hang in there mama!!