Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A busy day...

I love cats. I love the way they are consumed with a toy, and the way they completely relax when they are tired. 

Christian, or "Baby" as we often call him, is almost 13 years old. He was born on our living room floor on May 16. I remember that day because Kevin and I had been at his softball game and the neighbor was babysitting while our cat went into labor. We got home and Christian squirted out on the floor. I have always thought it was good for kids to see animals being born. Cats or dogs seems the likeliest opportunities.

This cat has complete trust in us. I remember we had a special relationship with the kittens born in our house when I was a kid, too. I am not sure exactly what the difference is, but it always amazes me when he snuggles up with my arm over him and just zonks out. He will stay tucked under my arm for hours.

My favorite thing about Christian is when he goes ape for catnip. We have liquid catnip that we spray in his cathouse. He will go into the little house and roll around in it, then hang his head out the hole with his bloodshot eyes. It is hilarious.

When we got Maegan's kitten, Juggernaut, a couple of years ago, Christian got a little bent out of shape. He still doesn't like Jugs, but is not so mad at us anymore for bringing him home. For the first year Jugs came to live with us Christian would come in our bedroom, jump on us and growl.

Jugs, on the other hand, loves Christian and seems to get a perverse pleasure from torturing him. He will sneak up and pounce on him, sending Christian into his angry hissing fits. We applaud when Christian does the rare stand-up-for-himself-and-fight-back.

No comments: