Wednesday, October 8, 2008

St. Augustine is a really cool old city

I realize plenty of you have been anxiously awaiting the next posting. Unfortunately, the resort we moved into on Monday failed to come through with the promised wi-fi, so I have to run to Starbucks, and it is expensive.

Today, however, Ann, Beth and I are sitting in a pub while the guys are checking out the largest Harley Store in the entire world (something we are not remotely interested in). They happen to provide free wireless, so I thought I would catch you all up.

We are staying in a resort in Palm Coast that is old and needs some renovating. But it is okay since we aren't there much.

Last night, we went to the old city of St. Augustine, the oldest city in the United States. It is very cool. So cool, we went back today.

Last night was the fun "Haunted Walking Tour" of the city. A marvelous story teller took a group of about 30 of us throughout the city in search of ghosts and told us some great stories along the way. We ended up in the town cemetary. I did not see any ghosts, but we had fun finding little spots that looked like they might be "something" in our photos.

Today we went back and spent a lot of time in the fort, "Castillo de San Marcos" I will post photos tomorrow. Then we walked down the famous "St. George Street" which has original and renovated original buildings from the Spanish occupation in 1752. It started to pour down rain, and we just had to go check out a local pub on the street. We sat outside under cover and enjoyed some relief from the extreme humidity we were suffering through before the rain began.

Great day! Great fun! We will go back on Friday for a taste from the "Fountain of Youth". Tomorrow is our big day at Cape Canaveral.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

St Augustine is my favorite city in FL, Alicat! There's a great little Cuban restaurant near the park by the brewery on the corner (you know my memory) near the bridge that goes into the old part of town - to the south of the fort and Old City.

I found the spots on my pictures, too!

Have fun at the cape -

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! We went to St. Augustine when we were in Florida, after stopping at the Cape and Daytona, but it was nearly 5pm by the time we got there so everything was "closed" to our dismay, but we drove around to look at everything and it sure is a cool place!