Sunday, August 24, 2008

Birthdays have always been important to me. I love to celebrate them, even if they are not my own (but of course I love to celebrate mine!).

While I was in Boise up in Maegan's room, she decided it was a good time to give me my birthday presents: one from her and one that she brought back from my sister, Sam, in Virginia. I have always had an affinity for dolphins... they are my totem... and Maegan gave me some lovely 24K gold dolphin earrings.

Sam, knowing how much I love her ChomChom bags, gave me this gorgeous black bag... the one I am pretty sure I told her was really pretty the last time I was out visiting. She loves me!

My birthday is not until tomorrow. Today would have been my Grandma Boyd's birthday. I always felt like we were very much alike, she and I, if for no other reason than astrologically, we are very closely aligned.

My grandmother was an amazing woman, very adventurous when she was young. She was a nurse, and didn't let rules sway her from what she wanted to do. In the early 30s, she and her friend went hitchhiking around the country together. How brave was that back then!!!!! Back then, nurses lived in dorms at the hospital and were overseen by head nurses. They were not allowed to cut their hair in the bob-style. I guess it was considered too risque for a nurse. She, of course, did it anyway. She told me she would pin it up under her nurses' cap so no one would know.

She met my grandfather and they married when she was about 30. He was a career navy man, and spent many years away from his family, leaving her to tend to her four boys. My dad was the oldest of those boys. 

The navy recruited my grandmother, who was living in Parksley in Accommack County on the eastern shore of Virginia. (My dad used to always say "I'm just an old country lawyer from Accommack County.) She was the only registered nurse, and since that was where the wounded first arrived from Europe, it was her job to train the women there to tend to the wounded until they were able to be transported to hospitals or home. In my opinion, she should have gotten a medal for her efforts.

She had to leave the boys at home while she traveled. My dad always talked lovingly about Agnes, the woman who cared for the boys while my grandmother was away. (I may not have all the facts right, but I know I am close). My dad wanted to name me Agnes. I am very happy my mother vetoed that request. My dad used to tell the story, and he would start crying when he did, about when he joined the navy and was stationed in Morocco, he got an old, dried up peanut butter sandwich that Agnes had sent him in a care package.

But I digress, this is about my grandmother. After the war, my grandparents moved to St. Petersburg, Florida. We visited with them when I was 13. My sister can imitate my grandma perfectly. She used to rub our arms and say "My My".

After my grandfather died, Grandma (her name was Helen Grey Boyer Boyd... Maegan is named after her... Maegan Grey Ward) moved to Kentucky to be closer to my Uncle Frank. I visited her there a couple of times. The only great grandchild she ever lived to see was Byron. He and I visited her in the nursing home when he was about 1 1/2.

Grandma died about 2 weeks after Maegan was born. I know my father told her in the hospital about her birth and that I had named Maegan after her. She was a great lady, and I miss her even now. Happy Birthday Grandma!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL FRIEND!!! Hope you have a WONDERFUL day!! Love you much!

Anonymous said...

Really pretty earrings! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, may your day be as special as you are!