Sunday, August 31, 2008

Wax on, wax off...

Yesterday morning, I spent a couple of hours screening the rocks out of the soil in part of my raised bed garden. The remaining soil is so nice, a perfect planting medium. It is definitely worth the effort.

The process to remove the rocks is like a day at the gym. It reminded me yesterday of the Karate Kid movie, where daily chores turn into a miracle workout regime. I am so ready to enter the karate tournament, or maybe I will be after I finish the job today.

Or maybe I will just enter some of the fruits of my labor at the County Fair. I am pretty pleased with the lettuce. I will be harvesting some of it this weekend. And you can see one of the remaining blueberries. I was surprised to find one left. There are none left now... mmmmm.

The kale, collards and spinach are turning into food. They will keep growing even as the days cool off. In fact, that is their preference. I have a few things that will succumb, but Kevin is building me a pvc and visqueen cover to help hold the warmth in and prevent an early frost from taking out the gourds and cilantro. I am not sure about the sweet potatoes, but I didn't plant them for harvest... just for looks. They are a pretty plant. I thought about digging them up and putting them in a pot in the house, but I think the roots would eventually bust through and escape through the bottom as the little potatoes grow into big ones.

Anyway, I need to go do my stretching before my morning workout. Wax on, wax off... wax on, wax off. Just call me Farmer Ali.

No comments: