Monday, August 11, 2008

Public Transportation

We have an amazing resource right here in Kootenai County, and today was my day to go on a little exploration. I didn't get any photos, because my public transportation adventure was enough with a bicycle and bags without adding camera to the mix. So you will just have to go to the CityLink website and see photos and get info.

The bus system is FREE! And there are three different routes to choose from, so you can practically get anywhere. So here goes the tale of my fun day:

With an appointment in Hayden at noon, I had to hurry down on my bike to catch the bus at the Super One in Post Falls. I had looked in advance to see how this was going to work, and I knew a little bike riding would expedite getting to my appointment, but I was nervous about how to put my bike on the bus. Turns out there was another person with a bike (a little kid, of course, teaching the scared lady how to do it) and it really was a piece of cake.

So my bike was loaded and I hopped into the bus and off we went towards Hayden, going by way of WalMart, then up Highway 41, over to Ramsey via Prairie, and then up to the Hayden Super One, where I got off and road to my appointment on Prairie Avenue. On the bus were the maps of all the routes, and I quickly discovered that I could have gone another way and never had to use my bike, but that is what this trip was all about.

After my appointment, I decided I could use a little exercise, so I pedaled myself down the bike trail that runs along Highway 95 to Coeur d'Alene. I was doing well, despite a wicked headwind, until I got to the corner of Appleway and 95. The trail ends, and I needed to get over by the hospital to make a delivery. That was the part I didn't like, and do not recommend. Don't cross Highway 90 on 95 on the wrong side of the road with that crazy on-coming traffic. I had visions of a car tossing me over the edge, but I made it safely (and thankfully) down to the lights at Ironwood, and continued on my way.

The City Link hub is at Riverstone. So after dropping off my little package to my friend at one of the Physical Therapy offices, I headed on down to catch my return ride home to Post Falls. I got there with about 5 minutes to spare before my ride arrived. Luckily, too, because there would have been an 1 1/2 wait between buses (at which time I would have called Kevin to come and get me, because as I mentioned before, I battled some heavy headwinds from Hayden to CDA, and had no intention of riding all the way to Post Falls today). So obviously, trips on the bus can be enhanced with a little prior planning.

Now that I was a veteran bike loader, I was back onboard and heading to the spot where I was picked up earlier. I easily unloaded my bike, and hopped on, immediately heading home. It took 30 minutes from Riverstone to my front door... not bad I think.

I highly recommend checking out this great, economical way of getting around. In fact I challenge you to go and take a little ride, just for the adventure of it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent piece, it would be a great editorial piece in the newspaper!