Thursday, September 25, 2008

Critter heaven

It isn't often that you see the caterpillar and the butterfly that it turns into at the same time. Obviously, this one didn't turn into that butterfly, but it will turn into one just like it in about 2 weeks.

Beth has a rooster named Reggie, an Ent who is making a face at me (if you don't know what that is, you need to watch "The Two Towers" or read Tolkien's trilogy), and poisonous toads in her yard. Rosie, her little Cairn Terrier, has almost died eating them. She has finally figured out that they aren't good snacking material.

Oh man, lots of big, honkin' spiders! This one on the left is about the size of my fist. The one in the middle is very tiny, maybe 1/4", and the one on the right is a couple of inches long. I used my ultra-telephoto lens so I didn't have to get close to them. Scary creatures, but they eat the mosquitos and are harmless to big animals. Beth calls them her pets. I think she is crazy!

Now on to photos of alligators. Saturday is my big drive to Miami on "Alligator Alley." I am assuming they call it that because there are lots of gators. I want to get a good shot of some without them eating me. I will probably use my ultra-telephoto lens again... don't want to get too close.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent photos, you sure have a wonderful photojournalism flair! I especially love the way the light is hitting the frog!