Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fall bounty

I am so enamored by my garden, perhaps because I waited for so long for it.

This morning is the moment I have been waiting for since I planted the seeds in the new soil in my beds.

My mom turned me on to a new eating trend: the raw food diet. When I was out in Virginia, she brought down her vitamix and made me a smoothie out of a mix of fruits and vegetables. I know it sounds wierd, but it was delicious, and I now have my own vitamix that liquifies my breakfast every morning.

So I headed out to my garden this morning to pick some ripe collard greens and kale... mmmm. I love collard greens steamed with a little balsamic vinegar drizzled on them. Kale is also good prepared that way, as well as mustard greens and turnip greens. I found out the hard 
way that mustard greens are NOT good in a morning smoothie! 

This year was not a good year for tomatoes, but I have gotten a few. I don't think there is anything better than a fresh tomato off the vine. 

My friend, Becki, had a really nice crop of tomatoes this year... she was lucky until the frost in July that basically took them out. This has been the strangest spring/summer I can remember in a long time.

Anyway, I am sitting here looking out at another gorgeous day with my garden in the background enjoying my breakfast of champions made from the stuff I grew and feeling wholesome.

Life is good...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And what a nice garden it is! And that lettuce you gave me was scrumpidelicioso! There is something very fulfilling about growing one's own and then reaping what one's sows...