Monday, May 26, 2008

Camera-less

I am back without photos. Someone complained yesterday that I had not been posting, indicating that I am pouting without my camera. Well, I am. I was supposed to have it back by this past Friday, but they called and said Canon had shipped the wrong part, so now it will be some time next week.

I seriously am avoiding looking at things. It is the wierdest feeling, but when I look and see something worthy of a photograph, I just get frustrated. And right now, there is so much to shoot.

North Idaho is flooding, and there is water everywhere. The river is running so high, it is making new little rivers. The lake has peaked and overflowed. All our perspectives have changed because everything on the lake and the river is higher. And I can't shoot any of it!!!!!

On Friday, I went to visit my friend who lives on the river, which is now about three rivers. Just in the time I was there the river that is running through their volleyball court was about 6 inches underneath the net. By the time I left, it was touching the net. 

And the river is just roaring loud! We took a walk by the newly formed river path. With everything so wet, it is amazingly green. All the plant life has perked up, eager to be growing and showing off. Just about where the new river met the old river, Steve was telling me that he had often wondered what could have formed this basin-like place we were looking at that was now filled with raging water. It is obvious this river has chosen this path before.

And Kevin and I wandered downtown on Saturday to check out the lake. With all the warnings about staying away from the water (they are fining anyone who goes in it $1000) it was amazing to see how many people were out walking the beach, sitting on tables that were surrounded by water, and generally gawking at this unusual phenomenon. Of course, we were too.

Cedar's, a floating restaurant located at the end of the lake and the beginning of the river, is closed because the ramp to get to the restaurant is covered with water. The building is so high... right at the top of the pilings. Generally in the summer, you can see at least 10 feet of pilings showing, if not more. I heard on the news they were afraid the restaurant would float right off the pilings and head on down the river. I don't think that could happen, but it creates a great vision.

And to add to all this, it has been raining nearly everyday. You just have to love a good Idaho spring. (I can say this now that I am fairly sure we will not get anymore snow... knock on my head).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I am SOOOO bummed I'm missing all of the excitement! By the time I get home next week, it'll probably all be back to normal, sob. And you can't even take pictures of it!

Soak it up for me, and maybe I'll be able to enjoy it vicariously...

Miss you! Wishes for a speedy Canon return!

Brancy said...

"Soak it up for me", good one! Well oddly enough, even if you can take pictures of it, they don't do it justice, past the obvious "no parking here" signs that are in 5' of water, or the benches having no legs...which we have already seen in the news. I shot some yesterday and only took a few because as I said before, it just loses translation. I will post them on the crow site tonight and you will see what I mean.