Saturday, May 10, 2008

Winetasting in Spokane

Mother's day weekend in Spokane is big with the local wineries. This is the weekend they do their annual spring barrel tasting. I can't think of a better way to honor mothers than to indulge them in some serious wine appreciation.

One thing I have learned about wine tasting is that you really should only hit 3-4 wineries in a day. More than that and the wine all starts to taste the same Then you end up buying bottles of wine that may have seemed quite good at the time, but on further inspection (on a sober day) weren't worth the nice price tag attached to them.

I have finally learned to ask myself the question: "Is this wine any better than what I can buy at the grocery store for $9.95?" That usually cinches the deal. If it is not a stellar wine, I can usually talk myself out of it.

Today was especially fun because Kent and Bec's daughter Katy is visiting and joined us on our little adventure. She is just learning wines, and it was fun to see what she was liking and not liking.

And I am happy because Kevin is building us a wine cellar in the basement. Since and empty wine cellar would mean nothing without a nice collection of wine to put in it, I love the fact that he is spending the money on wine instead of me for a change.

No comments: