Monday, May 5, 2008

Manipulation

I have decided not to wear warm clothes anymore. I have put away my emu fur-lined boots and my long-sleeved shirts, and pulled out my flip-flops and colorful, bright, short- or no-sleeved shirts and shorts. It is time for the weather gods to understand that we need to start planting, weeding, watering, and enjoying the outside. And this is my way of manipulating the weather.

Yesterday was a good start for this actually. The day was sunny and beautiful and Kevin and I got a lot done in the yard. We picked up all the dog poop, mowed the yard, weeded the flower beds, and I was just short of planting beautiful flowers, but I chickened out and decided to give it one more week. As much as I am trying to convince the powers that be that it is spring, I am not going to waste money on delicate flowers to have them succumb to another frost.

But some flowers are doing marvelously well. Today is a tribute to the dandelion. It really is a pretty flower, and its leaves are quite yummy when steamed, but it just isn't desirable in the lawn to most people, including me. But I do love the first ones of spring. They are bright and tenacious. I wish all my plants were as hardy as they are.

1 comment:

Brancy said...

I concur!!! I am wearing sandals today in support of your worthwhile mission!!!