Monday, July 7, 2008

The annual bloomer

The waterlillies in our front yard throw out a bloom about once a year, maybe twice if we are lucky. I always have to run out and take a photo because it is so exciting. The bud slowly rises out of the water, it takes about 3 days from the first time I spot it, and then suddenly one morning is a gorgeous, open bloom. At night, it closes up, to reopen in the morning again. That lasts for about 4 days, and then it dies. Short life.

Tomorrow I am off to Virginia with my daughter, Maegan. We are looking forward to spending some time with my family, and then we are bringing my nephew, Charlie, back with us for a week. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barwalt said...

That is an absolutely beautiful water Lily, is there always only one bloom?