Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Conor and the squirrel

Last Thursday Conor and I took Charlie to Prichard to visit my in-laws and float the river. This year, the river is higher than normal, so our float was promising at this late time of year. We arrived at lunch time, and Marylou is always ready to feed visitors. 

One of the visitors is a little squirrel they have named Charlie. He is so friendly, he comes and gets his little peanuts right out of their hands. Conor was fascinated with this little guy, and decided to see if he would eat off the shoulder, and then right out of his mouth.

I can't believe I forgot my camera... but fortunately I was able to use Jim's, and have just now gotten the photos.

Our float was awesome! The water was pretty cold, but it was a perfect, hot day for it. Jim dropped us off up river from their place, and we pulled into their beach about 2 hours later.

The boys kept pestering me to get in the water. I wasn't too keen on it because I didn't want to get my hair wet, but when Charlie called me a "pansy," that was enough, and I rolled off the raft into the water. To say it was invigorating is probably an understatement. And my legs got quit cold as I hung onto the side of the raft until we could get in more shallow water so I could boost myself back into the boat.

I think I gained a little respect, however, from those boys which made the jumping in worth it all.

No comments: