Friday, July 4, 2008

Celebrating the 4th Idaho-style


Every year, Coeur d'Alene has a parade down the main street of town, and ba-jillions of people come out to see it. This year, I volunteered to help carry the banner for the NIC Alumni Association, a job I was dreading a bit (mostly because I thought it would be a miserably hot day for a long walk) that actually turned into a very fun time. It only took about 30-40 minutes to walk down the 18 blocks of the parade. My wrist got tired from all the waving... you can't just walk down the street with all those people, especially kids, waving flags at you and not reciprocate somehow.

So I waved back, cautiously at first... but soon I was madly waving, and after awhile I am fairly sure that all those folks came out just to see me. And, as almost anyone who knows me will be happy to relay, it doesn't take much and anything can and will become all about me.

I saw a lot of people I know, but was happiest at the end of the trail to see my husband waiting for me with the camera. I can now see how ridiculous I looked... sigh...

My favorite entry in the parade, however, was the Art on the Edge float, a papier maché beehive with little bees buzzing around it. The kids in camp this week built this beehive over a small jeep-type SUV. They made their own wings, and decorated the camp volunteers as flowers, and marched down the street, proudly displaying their hard work. They really made a good showing, and I vote for them to win FIRST PRIZE!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barwalt said...

Boy that was a lot of deleting! Well that sure was an original entry and I hope it won something! I bet the kids had a great time and looked darling! I sure hated missing the parade, first time since I moved here! Glad you took some pics!