Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fireworks in Bayview

The beautiful little town of Bayview on the south end of Lake Pend Oreille puts on a fun party called, aptly enough, Bayview Daze on the weekend right around the 4th of July. Saturday night includes a boat parade in the Bay, and an amazing fireworks display set against the most gorgeous backdrop.


Bayview has the naval research station nestled amongst the taverns and float houses. They test little subs in the very deep waters of the lake. When I first moved here, I had heard that it was one of the deepest lakes in the United States, and that there are areas that they still don't know quite how deep they are. I haven't done a lot of research on this, so I don't know how accurate that is.


But this town sure knows how to party this particular weekend. We were lucky enough to be invited to a party of some folks that live up the hill a bit with a knockout view.


I think we were all in heaven. Me, especially, since I was able to test out my newly acquired, not totally refined, skills in nighttime photography.


There are a lot of float houses in this little bay. I am guessing it must be a fairly safe haven since this lake can get quite rough when the weather is stormy. My husband, Kevin's, family has generations of stories surrounding this area. Some of the towns on Lake Pend Oreille have pretty wild histories.


I heard someone say  how this little town of Bayview has really changed in just the last 10 years. It used to be quite wild, but now with the influx of so many people, especially folks with money, it has tamed down quite a bit.


You can tell just how popular this place is by how many people are trying to get out of town after the show. It took us an hour to get home, double the time. But it was worth it. What a great day!

1 comment:

Barwalt said...

That does look like a perfect view to a great fireworks show! And you are getting really great at night shooting!