Friday, June 6, 2008

All about me?

Sometimes it is just fun to play. This morning seems to be one of them.

My theme today reminds me of a story about my sister and me after our dad's remains were interred in the newly renovated columbarium at Arlington Cemetery. We went to see his plaque, having to wind our way through this amazing maze of vaults. We finally found him, at the top where I am sure he is happiest. We had to find a rolling staircase to get all the way up to see him. Sam brought her camera and we started to take photos. Pretty soon it wasn't about Dad at all, but all about us. I think Sam took about 200+ photos that day, and it remains one of our great memories. I am sure it was quite annoying to Dad. Oh well.

My grandparents and my Uncle Morgan are also buried in Arlington Cemetery. 

Whenever I visit my family in Virginia, I make a point of getting in to see my dad, his parents, and my uncle. Arlington Cemetery is a beautiful, introspective place, and I love it there. I keep the map of my grandparents plot in my wallet. It is easy to get lost there, and even though I have been there many times, without the map it takes me too long to find grandma.

I miss my dad, and my sister. When I see her in July, it will probably be, once again, all about us.

No comments: