Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Man kitchen

Our big project, or I should say Kevin's, is our gorgeous outdoor kitchen. We have done all the work ourselves (correction: Kevin has done all the work himself while I supervised), and it is really adding a lot to our patio. It has become our place of choice to hang out, when the weather is accommodating that is.

Maegan and I went out to dinner tonight. It was sunny when we went in, and pouring rain with thunder and lightening when we left. We ran, laughing, all the way to the car. 

I love the rain and thunder. It comes from my childhood, I am sure. I find it very comforting to be in my cozy little house or bed while it is raining buckets and flashes of light and crashes of thunder sound all around.

When I was young, my mom broke her achilles tendon and was in a full leg cast from the ankle to the hip for months. One night during a storm it started hailing large stones, about the size of walnuts, with lightning and thunder (you have never seen a thunder storm here like you see in Virginia) and we all ran downstairs, leaving my poor mom to hobble her way down the stairs by herself. I always felt bad that we forgot her. Funny. I wonder if she remembers that the same way.

But for me, our family never had as much fun as when the lights would go out and we would hang out together with candles until the electricity came back on. And I think that is why I love storms.

3 comments:

Brancy said...

I feel the same way, but I have no idea why! For one, a good rain storm isn't very common in So Cal, especially one with all the fx. So I have relished everyone here in NI and was excited to have lightning all around me driving home to Rathdrum tonight.

Brancy said...

Very nice kitchen by the way, Kevin. Your backyard is becoming a real vacation spot! And hopefully the weather will catch up to that fact this weekend!

Sara said...

I LOVE your outdoor kitchen!! Nice work Kevin and his supervisor. :-)