Saturday, June 7, 2008

Is this spring?

Just when we think we are over the hump, the wind starts blowing, the temperature plummets, and the weatherman mentions snow. And the news this morning is talking about the east coast having unusually HOT weather. 

Yesterday, just before artwalk, Nancy and I decided to run and get some shots of the cool clouds over the lake. After about 5 images for me, I said forget it and we ran back to the shelter of the coffee house. It is a bitter wind, and feels like March or April.

I remember the weather being like this when I first moved to Coeur d'Alene. It has been many years, but we used to be able to count on rain and cold for the fourth of July. The year that Mt. St. Helens blew, we missed summer completely. And we could count on a curtain of rain right about the end of August that signaled the end of summer. My garden tomatoes used to come in to the basement, still on the vine, to be stored in newspaper to continue ripening. That was about the only way I could be successful at growing them.

The last few years, we have enjoyed earlier springs, a longer summer, and a wonderful fall with a late frost that prolonged the garden growing season. I am not willing to give this up, although I obviously have little influence on the weather gods.

Someone said yesterday that we should just pretend this is April, and it will all turn out good. I don't think so. If this is April, then we won't get June until August, and I am afraid the fall curtain intends to come banging down early this year. Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter what we pretend... it will be what it is, and I will plan another trip to Florida.

No comments: