Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ironman Coeur d'Alene--Team Atwood

Today was a perfect day for Ironman. In the six years that I have witnessed the morning swim of the 2000+ people that start this amazing adventure, I am so happy with our gorgeous mornings. Coeur d'Alene has never looked so good as it does at 7 am on a Sunday morning in late June.
This year, our good friend Mike participated in this mad adventure. I call it mad because who consciously sets out to swim 2.4 miles, then bike 112 miles, and then run a 26-mile marathon? Not me, that is for sure. But Mike decided to give it a shot. I am so proud of him. He worked hard all year training for this race. And he looked good throughout. Our team, Team Atwood, began the day at 6 am to watch him swim. At 9:30, we had already pushed him out for the bike portion, and sometime after 5, we were cheering him on for the run.

It is really amazing to watch all these athletes put themselves out like they do. I keep asking myself "why?" I think each participant has their own reason. Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter... with that kind of drive, it is amazing what the human body is capable of putting up with.

There is the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat as we test ourselves beyond our comfort zones. I think the theme of the day... the unknown reason for what I see as torture... is to challenge ourselves beyond what we can perceive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I THOUGHT I saw Mike go by, but figured I was dreaming. Good for him! We played tunes on the corner of 4th and Prairie all day, and the bikers loved it. Big party at Bill's house! You're right, a gorgeous day for IM, AC! :-)

Anonymous said...

I wish that I could have been there to Cheer Mike on. I can't explain the excitement that I felt for him when he told me he was doing Ironman. What a great goal in life, and no matter if you finish or not a person should be proud of themselves. Leslie

Barwalt said...

I watched the biking phase from Hayden, amazing people, great event and terrific post!

Anonymous said...

YEA!!! I didn't know Mike was doing that!! Very great. And no matter the "time", there are no defeats only Ironmen & women!